I have been developing, plotting, writing, drawing, editing....on this new project and it's going to be a rather large undertaking. I've been pretty inspired lately but to feel inspiration and to funnel that enthusiasm are two different things. Being an overachiever, it's hard for me to keep focused because I go for the high concept visions. I'm a visionary! There, I've said it out loud. For every story idea, I have a hundred different ideas for marketing. The cart before the horse, some would say. This reaction has always been a part of my psyche that I can't shut down.

As I thought about this, I realized that it isn't necessarily a bad thing. If my vision for the future drives my creativity, it shouldn't be smothered. Yes, I know I have to finish the proposal. Yes, I know I have a zillion things to do before I may ever see the ideas become reality...but, as writers, we should embrace the eagerness. We should bottle up these emotions because when you hit a slump, you will need to remember this feeling...otherwise, you may not be able to climb out of the hole. It's easy for me to get fired up about writing. All I have to do is tell people about my current idea and BAM! I'm eager to jump back in. I won't lie, there are days where I'd like nothing better to do than sleep but we make our own success. If we give into the complacent, if we don't work hard at our goals, we won't see the end result.

Why delay the inevitable? GET TO WORK, SLACKERS!

Comments (1)

On March 24, 2009 at 11:38 AM , Nikki Duncan said...

Makes me glad I haven't been slacking. :)

And I can say that having those marketing ideas in place before writing or selling the story does make the marketing easier when you do sell.