A few weekends ago I sat through a workshop where the speaker talked some about books being character driven or plot driven. I've always thought mine were a combination as I always try to use both to develop each other as the story progresses. With that said, in most cases the plot seems to come more easily for me and this current WIP is no exception.

I know what happens in the story but I've been struggling to get going with the actual writing of it. As I've thought about it over the past few days and worked on what I do know of the story it's become clear to me that I don't know my characters well enough. I knew they were cool and I liked who they are now, but how did they turn into the people they are? What has happened to them in the past and what decisions did it lead them to make?

Well, these needed answers.

So I've been working on it. I have the heroine figured out, but the hero is a little trickier. I got most of him figured out including things that happened to him as a child that helped mold him into the man he is now. However, I was still struggling with the way he deals with the heroine. She rubs him the wrong way, but I was struggling with why. That is my least favorite question as a writer by the way. Why.

Well, it occurred to me last night as I was laying in bed unable to sleep yet again. Everything I thought I knew about him and his way with women was wrong. So, now that I'm pretty certain I know more about this evasive hero of mine, wish me luck as I tackle his parts of the story. I know that I'm going to have more fun now as I use the new developments to torment him.

So, as a writer, what is your biggest struggle? As a reader, do you have a preference between books that make a bigger impact with the characters or with the plot?

Naughty Nikki

Comments (2)

On March 10, 2009 at 6:20 PM , Jax Cassidy said...

I personally love character driven story lines. I like the connection and growth of the main H/H. It's a good thing you figured who they are at the beginning, otherwise it's a pain to go in and make the details consistent later on!

 
On March 10, 2009 at 6:24 PM , Abigail said...

Great Post Nikki