Yes, I know. That's a corny heading, but it's true of the mood that I'm in. Getting back to book business, not being corny.

I've been trying to work on my current WIP for weeks now with little success. It's been irritating me because it's something that I'm excited about and I love the characters, but I've just been stalled. I know what happens in the story as I have my plot board worked out, but every time I try to write I find myself staring at the monitor.

Now, I'm one of those people that don't believe in writer's block. It's me. I've done something not right or I've missed something all together somewhere along the way. So yesterday, with the allergies under control and the fog gone from my brain, I started thinking about it and I realized that the scenes that stall me are the ones from my hero's POV. This was weird for me because I thought I knew him. I know I love him and his arrogance and cool power. Still, something wasn't working.

So, last night I pulled out my new notebook and did something Candace Havens and Rosemary Clement-Moore had us do at a writer's retreat in November. I just started stream of conscious writing about my hero. I started with what I new about him and went until I learned something new. Once I learned that something new I kept writing until I'd run out of new stuff and was caught up with where he is in his life now. In reading over what I'd written I found similarities between him and his heroine that would make them the perfect match for each other even while they struggled to get to that point.

I intend to do the same thing for the heroine today and am finally feeling a new excitement for this story. So, while I go back to work, I'm going to leave you with this great thought that I found in my email this morning. It's part of a blog on picking the perfect companion.

Books Rather Than Men: A More Perfect Relationship
"Relationships with books actually have some pretty compelling advantages over relationships with men. With books, it's always your choice if the liaison ends prematurely. You don't have to worry about the awkwardness of trying to avoid your discarded book should you bump into it in the grocery store. You can tell it, "It's not you, it's me" or even "You know, it actually is you" without hurting its feelings. It will also never insist on an exclusive relationship, and no one will think ill of you if you love more than one. You can take one to bed with you the very first night you bring it home without your mother blinking an eye."--Kim Kovacs on the BookBrowse blog.

Happy reading and writing.
Naughty Nikki

Comments (2)

On March 3, 2009 at 11:49 AM , Jax Cassidy said...

Sounds like a great plan. I was stalled not long ago and started to force myself to just write. Anything.

It does clear the mind and it's amazing what you can accomplish when you don't put those pressures on yourself to write.

 
On March 3, 2009 at 12:08 PM , Nikki Duncan said...

It was a huge relief. I'm working on my heroine now and learning things I didn't know though I had a great feel for her already.

I'll be interested to see how it transfers to the pages of the story.