In my quest to discover the right career during my life journey, I had once desired to become an actress and filmmaker. Of course, it didn't work out for me but my love of filmmaking has never truly died. This weekend I picked up a few movies and one of them was MY BLUEBERRY NIGHTS. Sure, the title seems silly but it's in reference to the blueberry pies in the diner, and the blurb may not be the most enticing one, but--boy, am I glad I rented it!

I'm a big Wong Kar Wai fan and this movie is so artistically, stylistically, and beautifully shot that I kept holding my breath throughout the movie. When I mean beautiful, I'm talking about the mood of the storytelling, the way in which the director focuses on elements in the story that says so much in just one shot. Believe it or not, Norah Jones was really good in this film...including the rest of the cast: Jude Law, Rachel Weisz, David Strathairn, and Natalie Portman. I felt it was a well-balanced romance. I was sucked into this fictitious world--like some voyeur--and I actually related to the emotions of the characters. At one time or another we've all been through the heartbreak and desperation of wanting to give love, and receiving love.

This story touched me because all the characters are broken and they're all looking for the same thing: love. It's got a nostalgic feel and makes for a compelling reason to look inside ourselves. Understanding our weaknesses and staying positive that we could overcome any obstacle. There's a scene where Norah Jone's character, Elizabeth, explains to Jeremy (Jude Law) why she didn't say goodbye to him the day she left town. Basically she didn't want him to remember her as the heartbroken girl or the one who liked blueberry pies. In the context of the scene, it showed the growth of the character and her desire to meet him again when she was healed, could be herself.

I totally recommend this movie and since this is Wong Kar Wai's debut English-language feature, the internationally acclaimed director has managed to amaze me even more. If I ever have the privilege of working on a film in the future, I hope it's with him...

MY BLUEBERRY NIGHTS
directed by Wong Kar Wai

Oscar nominee Jude Law and Grammy Award-winning singer Norah Jones star in this "ravishing triumph...(of) pure romantic sensibility" (Armond White, New York Press). Jude Law (Jeremy) plays a big-hearted owner of a small New York diner who tries to soothe Jones' jilted heart with this blueberry pie. But only after going on a year-long cross-country odyssey does she realize love was right at her doorstep all along.

Comments (1)

On March 10, 2009 at 6:25 PM , Abigail said...

I love this movie!