But my mood is still high! I've spent the last several years learning about the business so that when my time came I would be ready. Prepared.

Well, it's been a little over a week since I sold to Samhain Publishing and it just occurred to me last night that I'm more excited than I thought I was. And that sounds funny. What I mean is that while I was thrilled to have Samhain pick up my book, I immediately started thinking about the business end of things. Once the contract was out of the way I dove head first into the additional paperwork from my editor, spending as much time on the blurb worksheet as on the Marketing Plan.

With those turned in, I started designing some promo materials, because even though I do not have a book cover yet I didn't want to wait until I did to spread the word about my book release. Fortunately, I'm able to use the graphics from my website for now, which I hope helps cement my "brand" into people's minds early on.

A few things I've done so far, in addition to continuing to chat in my regular yahoo groups, is to chat a little more frequently in a couple more. Keeping my name in front of people now will help later. But more, it's a matter of building friendships with people so they CARE enough to buy your book later.

I've printed up some excerpt booklets to carry with me. I can hand these out at writer's meetings and possibly at bookstores. I will include these in anything I mail out and will send some to reader conferences.

I am blogging, friending and chatting with people through MySpace and Facebook, and am tracking my website stats to see if I am increasing traffic. Yes, the goal is to sell books when it releases, but I'm just flat out having a good time getting into the promo of my first book.

I also had some new headshots done. My good pal Jenius Jax brought her camera when we got together last weekend and took some AWESOME shots for me. I love the pictures she took and was amazed to not feel like a complete dork in front of the camera - there's a reason my previous pictures were always NOT AWESOME. Thank you, Jax!

I do have some questions for you though. From and author and/or reader standpoint, what kind of promotion gets your attention? As a reader, how much interaction do you want to have with authors? If you were going to sign up for a contest, what kinds of prizes would entice you the most?

Naughty NIkki D

Comments (4)

On March 24, 2009 at 9:08 PM , Brandy W said...

When it comes to contests I've gone for cover flats to a book print or ebook. A gift card to Amazon or something similar is good as well. I like it when we get to interact somehow. A widget like Jaci's or something like the save a contemporary spread the word campaign.

When it comes to interaction with an author it depends on who it is. The ladies on the yahoo groups I tend to go for over someone else. I like to support the authors since I am a reader. Chatting with them in groups and seeing the progress of the book is always great like when Larissa's last book came out. It felt like a great big cheering squad and I wanted to participate too.

I think to keep people interested in an upcoming release seeing something about it every once in a while helps. I remember with Jill Shalvis's Instant Attraction I kept seeing people talk about it and that made me remember it and want to know more.

 
On March 24, 2009 at 10:05 PM , Jax Cassidy said...

You're welcome on the pics. I was more than happy to take pics. Besides, you SO needed new ones!!!!

About your blog...I'm big on browsing cool author websites. I like reading blogs, it's a kind of 'getting to know you' opportunity. Mostly, beyond the promo, workshops, interviews, reviews...I think word of mouth plays a huge part in sales.

Everything you're doing works and I wouldn't be surprised when all your virtual friends buy your book!

 
On March 25, 2009 at 1:58 AM , Musings by Mimmi said...

Nikki, we're so excited for you!!
I LOVE to read snippets of a story...usually a sex or sexy scene, lol. It only makes me pant for more. I like when authors have newsletters where they send out remeinders when they have a book coming out. It's hard to keep up sometimes!!
As for contests, ARCs are my very favorite thing, with books, books and books coming in a close second. I've noticed on alot of blogs authors will give away books they love or from friends. I think this is a fun way to draw readers in, and build your rep w/ other authors.
Best of luck, and I'll be preordering mine!!

 
On March 25, 2009 at 10:41 AM , Abigail said...

I loved this post...I'm really new to the industry and need all the help I can get. I took notes on all the great advice that everyone gave you.