Okay, so I've been going through my first book and making some tweaks and adjustments. I'm not even half through the story and already have cut 12K words. The writing is strong, so that part isn't bad, but there's a lot of excess words and stuff. The scenes even are all relevant, but there has been a ton of tightening.

What I can't believe is that I sent this thing out to the masses of agents. Again, it wasn't awful, but it was so not ready to be out there. *hanging head in shame* Maybe I'll feel differently after I finish this round of editing because if nothing else it's getting MUCH tighter in the writing and the pacing.

Oh, and I want to give you all a head's up that this week we have Samhain author Alisha Rai in the house. Don't miss her. :)

And on that note, I must get back to it.

Keep writing and learning.
Naughty Nikki D

Comments (2)

On April 14, 2009 at 4:49 PM , Rhonda said...

OMG Nikki! I am sooo glad to 'hear' you say that, seriously makes me feel so much better. (I think we got our first contracts the same day *g*). I sold a novella, so I didn't do the agent thing with it, but it had been at two 'big' publishers and had gone up the ranks at each. I didn't even read it before I sent it out to an e-pub (and it sold). I just finished tweaking this week to send back out - the tightening, over used words. Ack. *hangs head with ya*

 
On April 15, 2009 at 12:45 PM , Jax Cassidy said...

Hope your writing is back on track! Keep it up chickie!