Easter was supposed to be spent with friends and family but the weather wasn't on our side. Secondly, Mr. Right came down with a little stomach bug so I spent Sunday watching a marathon of The Unit so I could be better acquainted with the show that he loves.

Relationships are about compromise and finding ways to keep it strong during times of adversity. I certainly am one of those women who is quite stubborn and proud. In previous relationships I'd never backed down or give in. Once my mind is set, it's set. But with time and experience, I've learned that to retain a healthy relationship you have to remember it's about more than just getting your way. It's about learning to lose those battles when it's necessary, and giving in if it's going to impact your future with the man you love. I'm not saying to throw in the towel every time, I'm saying that you need to learn to find solutions that will make you both happy.

That got me thinking about what I love to write most in my stories...Relationships. My heroines are often strong individuals who feel that they must carry the weight of the world alone. My heroes are no different but I like to show the progress of two people compromising together in order to reach the end result: acceptance and growth. You can learn a lot from your characters because you're finding ways for two people to get around their obstacles and you have to figure out which direction they take so the readers will still like your H/H after a major conflict. Also, you don't want either characters so unlikeable and irredeemable that you've lost your reader's confidence in your story.

When you write or read a story, what draws you to it? What impacts if you're going to continue or put down the book?

The ever inquisitive...
Jenius Jax

Comments (2)

On April 13, 2009 at 12:59 PM , Abigail said...

I hope Mr. Right feels better.

You are right, compromise is so important in relationships. After thirteen years of marriage, we've both done our share.

I find it hard to get into a book with a hero that I find unlikeable. Its not a quality I like in the real world, so I don't like in my fantasies either.

 
On April 13, 2009 at 1:33 PM , Jax Cassidy said...

I'm with you Abi. I think that it's okay for the hero to start off grumpy and slightly unlikeable but that factor should be melting quickly or else readers won't invest more time in wanting to know more about him.