I've known Eden for around 5 years now and not only is she a fabulous author, with very sensual and emotional literary skills that makes me envious, but also an all around kind soul. She helped shaped my writing career when I first started writing romance and she never ceases to grow as a writer. Her latest novel 21st CENTURY COURTESAN is so incredibly beautiful and unconventional from any romance you'll ever read. You can't help loving and feeling for her characters, after reading one of her novels, you'll see why she's been nominated and chosen for so many great awards.

THE CONTEST
Leave a comment and be eligible to win Eden's eBook, BREAKING SKYE. Winner will be announced tomorrow!

LET'S GET TO THE QUESTIONS...

How has your writing journey been since publishing and how do you deal with the changes since the economy?

It’s been a rollercoaster ride! Some really wonderful things have happened-including getting published at all-lol! I’ve learned so much about writing craft from my Bantam editor, Shauna Summers-she’s been amazing, and has really taken my writing to a better place.

There have been some issues in this economy for many writers. For me it’s meant contracting with a new publisher and I’ll have to produce more books, but I’m excited about it! I’ve also had to find another form of income, which has turned out to be a good thing. I’m in the process of training to be a Pilates instructor, and I love it! It’s made me exercise nearly every day. So different from my usual 12-14 hours a day sitting at my desk, but I feel a lot healthier, and I love getting out of my pajamas, getting out of the house and seeing people face-to-face.

What’s the best part of being an author? What’s the worst part?

The best part is doing what I love, being able to create something that other people enjoy. The hardest part is probably the sense of isolation, which my new career in Pilates has remedied.

What would you like to see happen for yourself and what writing direction would you like to see yourself going in 5 years?

I love what I‘m doing now: writing erotica and erotic romance. I’d like to continue, but I’d also love to branch out into women’s fiction, which I hope to do later this year. Of course, there are the dream goals: hit the NY Times best-seller list, sell a few book-to-film deals…I’d particularly love to see my latest release, A 21ST CENTURY COURTESAN, made into a movie.

How many books do you write a year and what have you seen the most results in terms of promotions?

I currently write two novels and anywhere from 2-4 novellas and/or shorts a year, although this year it may be as many as three full novels. In terms of promotions, it’s so difficult to figure out what’s working and what’s not, and most other author’s I’ve spoken to feel the same way. You just have to get out there and do what you can and hope it helps. I truly think what’s best in terms of making book sales is your publisher being behind you and getting you good shelf placement at the bookstores.

There are two things that have gotten my books the most attention: The first is being interviewed on Playboy Radio, which I do every few months. My website hits always go way up in the days following an interview-plus, it’s a lot of fun! The other thing which gave my sales a great push was when my last book, FORBIDDEN FRUIT, was in Cosmopolitan magazine.

Do you have a posse you write with? Do you suggest critique partners or beta readers?

I do have a posse-two, actually. Locally, I meet with some writer friends at a coffee house, or we’ll go to lunch and brainstorm. And I have some close writer friends who are spread all over the country, especially the women I share a group blog with: RG Alexander, Crystal Jordan and Lilli Feisty (Our blog is www.Smutketeers.com ). They’re always with me through every book.

I also have my critique partners. Lilli Feisty and I have been working together for about a year and a half. Mystery author Gemma Halliday and I have been working together for over 7 years. I honestly feel I couldn’t get through a book without them. And I sometimes use beta readers, just to give me feedback on the overall tone of the book, find plot holes, etc. I think it’s a good idea not to write in a vacuum.

Have you ever done anything spontaneous or extreme and what did it teach you something about yourself?

My personal life has been a series of spontaneous and extreme experiences-lol! I’m not into fast cars or sky-diving, my adventures have been more of a …personal nature. I believe every interaction we have with others teaches us something, so it’s all been a learning experience, and I do use a lot of my own experiences in my books-but I’m not telling which ones!

Why have you opted to write for ePublishers in addition to your print publishers? Are people accepting your transitions from BDSM to kinky contemporary romance? What kind of readership would you like to see?

I love writing for my e-publishers (Samhain, Harlequin Spice Briefs and Phaze) because it helps to keep the joy in writing for me. I have more flexibility in what I’m able to write, and I love writing in the shorter format. It’s also a great way to keep my name out there in between books from my New York Publishers.

Your latest release 21st CENTURY COURTESAN is not the typical romance and already it’s well received by reviewers. Tell us about the risks in writing this book and what you had to consider doing differently because of the nature of the theme?

A 21ST CENTURY COURTESAN is different in that it’s about a modern-day high-class call girl, and this sort of character is generally taboo in romance-even in erotic romance-although this book is more ‘classic’ erotica than it is erotic romance. There IS a very solid romance which develops throughout the story; I think it’s more ‘classic’ erotica in tone. It’s also written in first person, which romance authors rarely get to do. But I felt it was crucial for the reader to be right inside my heroine’s head in order to truly sympathize with her.

The biggest risk in this book was putting sex scenes with her clients on the page. I had to be certain to make those scenes hot-there couldn’t be any ‘ick’ factor. And I had to be even more careful to make the sex scenes with the hero even hotter and more sensual, and to carry a lot of emotional content.

Can you tell us about your new book and maybe provide an excerpt for our readers?

A 21ST CENTURY COURTESAN is about Valentine Day, a modern-day call girl of the highest caliber, a modern day American Geisha. She’s educated, sophisticated, intelligent. She’s treasured by her clients, the most powerful and wealthy men in the world. She’s enjoyed her luxurious lifestyle, but when she meets Joshua Spencer, she has to stop and re-evaluate everything. She falls hard for Joshua, but can she tell him what she’s been doing for a living her entire adult life, and have him accept her? And can she, in choosing to be with him, in choosing love, leave behind the only world she’s ever known?

EXCERPT: R-Rated!

The house lights flash.

“Time to go back in,” he says. “Let me get rid of these glasses.”

He takes mine, holding it between his fingers along with his, brings them to the rapidly emptying bar while I stand there, feeling a bit lost. Then he’s back at my side, his hand going to the small of my back as he guides me through the theater doors.

His palm is warm through the thin silk of my dress. And my sex is going so damp from this nearly innocent touch, I’m almost afraid to sit down. To try to hold still for another hour or more, next to him in the dark.

I manage to do it. But the entire time I am more aware than ever of his tall, muscular body next to mine. I don’t dare to look at him. I don’t have to. I can feel him. And I’m soaked the entire time.

Torture.

When the show is over we stand and I feel awkward again. Do I simply leave and say good bye?

“Did you drive?” he asks.

“I took a cab.”

“Let me find one for you.”

His hand at my waist again as we walk out of the theater. I can hardly stand for him to touch me. To touch me but not touch me.

At the curb he waves a taxi down.

“I won’t be so rude as to ask for your address, so you’ll have to tell the driver where you’re going. But I hope you’ll call me.”

He pulls a business card from his pocket and slips it into my hand, grasping it with his fingers for a moment. He’s looking into my eyes, and even in the dark I swear I can see a dim green and gold glow in his. He is too beautiful, this man.

I want him to kiss me. I want to pull him into the cab with me. I want to take him home and f**k him. But I do none of this.

“Thank you for the drink. And for the conversation.”

He gives my fingers a final squeeze. “It was my pleasure. Call me, Valentine.”

I smile, nod, and he hands me into the cab. He shuts the door, and I give one last shiver.

The cab pulls into the night, and we are immediately stuck in traffic. I don’t dare look behind me to see if he is standing there.
Joshua.

I clear my throat, smooth a hand over my hair. His card is in the other hand. I should tear it up. Toss it out the window. But instead I slip it into my bag. I can throw it away later. That’s exactly what I should do. Anything else would be ridiculous. Unrealistic. And life has taught me to be realistic. I am the poster child for accepting reality, no matter how ugly. It’s this beautiful, nice man who’s thrown me off balance.

I know what I should do. But I close my purse, my fingers tightening on the metal clasp, as though I am still holding the card in my hand. As though I really can call him tomorrow, go on a date. One in which I don’t get paid.

I’m not the sort of woman who can afford to indulge in this kind of fantasy. I will toss the card the moment I get home.
Won’t I?

If you were a nail polish, what would it be called and why?

Wicked Cherry-dark and sweet with a little edge. *G*

What’s up next for you?

My next novel, THE BEAUTY OF SURRENDER, a book about Shibari, the ancient art of Japanese erotic restraint, will be in bookstores in October, and on April 7th, my first e-book from Samhain will be out, TEMPT ME TWICE. This is also my first ménage story, so I’m excited!

Any parting words for our readers?

Thanks for coming by! I love hearing feedback from readers, so feel free to write any time! You can find me on the web:

My website: www.EdenBradley.com
My group blog: www.Smutketeers.com
My MySpace page: www.MySpace.com/EdenBradley

AUTHOR BIO
EDEN BRADLEY is the author of a number of erotic romance and erotica novels, novellas and short stories, and is published with Bantam, Berkley, Magic Carpet Books, Phaze and Harlequin Spice Briefs. She also has several erotic novellas available as e-books through Phaze Publishing and Samhain Publishing. Eden has presented workshops to several RWA chapters and other writing groups: AN EXERCISE IN SENSUALITY, and EVERYTHING YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT (WRITING) SEX. Eden, a native Californian, currently lives in the canyons of Southern California.

Comments (10)

On April 2, 2009 at 10:01 AM , Nikki Duncan said...

Hey Eden. Welcome to Hooked! Great interview and excerpt.

 
On April 2, 2009 at 10:04 AM , Jax Cassidy said...

I can't wait to get the final product in my hands. I know that I'm asking my local B&N to get some in!

 
On April 2, 2009 at 11:05 AM , Greta said...

I wanted to drop by and say hi to Eden, one of my favorite authors. Words can't say how much I loved A 21st Centery Courtesan. Definitely my favorite book of yours. Eden, did you get my reply e-mail in regards to Tempt Me Twice :)

 
On April 2, 2009 at 12:53 PM , R.G. ALEXANDER said...

I knew from the moment I read A 21st Century Courtesan that it was groundbreaking and amazing and...well, I liked it a lot. lol
I definitely want a signed copy of this one. I'm collecting the works of Eden Bradley you know. :)

Not that I'm surprised. Eden is always fantastic.

So is Jax ;)

Great interview ladies!

 
On April 2, 2009 at 1:19 PM , Jeannie Lin said...

Wow! You've been busy. And each book explores a whole new angle in sensuality. I'm totally looking forward to all these upcoming releases!

 
On April 2, 2009 at 2:31 PM , Estella said...

A 21st Century courtesan sounds quilt different an interesting.

 
On April 2, 2009 at 6:55 PM , Unknown said...

A 21st Century Courtesan sounds great! Great interview and excerpt!

 
On April 2, 2009 at 7:31 PM , Eden Bradley-Eve Berlin said...

Thanks for stopping by, everyone!
I have to admit, A 21ST CENTURY COURTESAN is my favorite book so far. I know-I shouldn't have a favorite, but I can't help it! So glad you enjoyed it, Greta. :)Yes-I got your email-did you get mine with the PDF attachment?
I'll be around for the rest of the evening and will check back in!
Thanks to the HOR girls for having me!

 
On April 2, 2009 at 8:39 PM , Judy said...

I really enjoyed your interview and the excerpt. This sounds like a fantastic read. I really enjoy your books. Thanks for the opportunity to win a copy.

 
On April 3, 2009 at 8:47 AM , CrystalGB said...

Hi Eden. Great interview and excerpt.