Day One. Life's been entirely too hectic and stressful for me, so Mr. Right and I decided to take a weekend road trip into Texas Hill Country. We drove out on Friday morning and was greeted by a rainstorm that rivaled Florida rain season. Once we got through the mess, we were greeted by dull rays peeking through the dreary clouds. We initially had a stop in Lampasas, Texas where the first leg of our wine tour was supposed to take place. Well, let's just say the area was less than desirable so we drove straight through and headed for Marble Falls. BTW, I've decided to use this town in my next project....We managed to find a hotel overlooking the Colorado River, and most likely one of the only nicer hotels in the area...too tired to think of touring the historic downtown we decided to have a late dinner at the famous River City Grill that overlooked the water. I can only blame it on Dateline that we managed to arrive right at closing time. So no swanky surf and turf dinner for us as we ended up dining at Chili's instead...

Day Two. In the morning I was jazzed about the trip to the wineries. I've never known Teaxs to produce wine but this would be a splendid discovery and I hoped would be as interesting as Napa Valley or Santa Barbara vineyards in California. Since this is considered springtime, I imagined robust grapevines happily awaiting the guests who would participate in the annual Wine Trail and Wildflower Festival....unfortunately, our expectations were a tad bit too high. If you've never been to wine tastings, it's a really fun experience where you make stops as several neighboring vineyards to see their facilities and take part in tasting the wines they are known for, or specialized in. Usually you will find a nice venue with a built-in bar where you can pay a small fee (anywhere from $5 - $20) to taste their tasting list of recommended wine selections. Sadly, we drove up to our first destination called LOST CREEK and after viewing the lack of vines, surrounded by dilapidated conditions of the facility, we opted to drive back to tour the historic downtown of Marble Falls. We would check out the other two vineyards on Sunday since it was in the opposite direction of the hotel.

We did a brief tour and got myself an awesome souvenir...a Honey Amber charm for my necklace...it was handmade by local American Indian artists so it was a perfect little gift. We browsed the main street and stopped at the local used bookstore, then popped into an Irish pub where I had plenty of coconut rum and pineapple juice while playing darts. Afterward, we headed to the R Grill to have some fresh shrimp tacos before taking a late afternoon nap before going to dinner. Of course, we had outdoor seating at the River City Grill and listened to a live band cover Johnny Cash songs. It was pleasant and beautiful overlooking the river. Yes, I stuffed myself with seafood gumbo, Caesar salad, flavorful prime rib with asparagus and french green beans, and cherry cobbler for dessert. The strawberry daiquiri wasn't too shabby either....I was surprised that I didn't need to be rolled out of there!

Day Three. We took the trip to the McReynold's Vineyard but were met with the same disappointment. Dry, rocky soil, hardly any vines worth seeing and lack of attendance....we finally decided to pack up our gear and head into Austin for a day trip instead. Although the wine tasting was a bust, the lush scenery of beautiful greenery with plenty of wildflowers made everything better. Funny how a vacation should be relaxing but I was left exhausted and ready for my own bed. This adventure was unique because I got to see the countryside, even if briefly, and it's amazing what you can find or discover along the way.

I know that Mr. Right and I have decided to make our next trip a tropical vacation. Where there's no distraction, no stress, and no planning. I can see the sandy beaches and plenty of sun in the forecast. That's one trip I think would be much more relaxing and fulfilling!

The Adventurer,
Jenius Jax

Comments (5)

On April 20, 2009 at 3:32 PM , Kristen Painter said...

You had me at shrimp tacos.

 
On April 20, 2009 at 7:45 PM , Jax Cassidy said...

And they were yummy shrimp tacos too! :) No wine but lots of mixed drinks....

 
On April 20, 2009 at 9:41 PM , Abigail said...

Sounds like you had a great time!

 
On April 21, 2009 at 11:28 AM , Nikki Duncan said...

See, I've lived here all my life and had never heard about the hill country wine tasting. Now, there's a vineyard not far from my house that supposedly does some nice tastings.

Glad you had a good time together though. There is some gorgeous scenery in this great state.

 
On April 21, 2009 at 12:59 PM , Jax Cassidy said...

I think that I'll be sure to ask around for the vineyards that are lush with grapes...this time around, I'm glad I was able to take a trip and just have fun!