Hi Alisha! Welcome to Hooked on Romance! Can you tell us how you came to be published with Samhain?

I've been intrigued with Samhain since they first came on the scene. I loved their books, and I loved what I heard about how they treated their authors, with real professionalism and courtesy.

So I'd been writing for a while, submitted a few works to other places and received very nice rejections, and I came upon an open call for Samhain's Menage and More anthology. I'd never written a menage before, and figured it might be a shot. If nothing else, it would stretch my creative legs a little bit. Let me tell you something: a ménage is the most difficult thing to write. Do you know how hard it is to keep track of six hands? Very.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), my ménage wouldn’t stay within the word count of a novella, and when I finished, it was fully novel length. I decided to query it anyway to the slush pile. Within three weeks, I had a request for the full manuscript. You don’t even know how excited I was. Within another week, I had a contract. While I was half-convinced they had made some sort of mistake, I was more than happy to take advantage of it.

I’m thrilled to say Samhain is as professional and competent as they seem to be. I’ve had nothing but good experiences with them so far.

What is the most extreme sport you’ve ever done, or adventure you’ve ever taken, and what did you learn about yourself?

When I was fourteen, I went to go live with my aunt in India for six months. Now, for a spoiled American teen, you can imagine what a culture shock this was. I’d been there before, but only for brief, sheltered vacations during the summer or Christmas with my parents.

Part of the deal I had to make with my mother, though, in exchange for letting me go, was that I learn something that I wouldn’t get a chance to learn in the States. I didn’t realize it at the time, but she was doing her best to push her shy daughter out of her comfort zone. Under pressure from her, I sullenly agreed to take classical Indian dance lessons.

To put this into context, I was not a svelte, graceful teenager. I was a chubby bookworm. I’m not going to lie and say I picked everything up right away, but after months of lessons, I could pull off some convincing dances. I remember only the most basic moves now, but that feeling of exhilaration, of being able to accomplish something you didn’t think you could and feel like a different person; that stays with you.

Tell us about your book Glutton for Pleasure. When did it come out and can you give us an excerpt for our readers?

It came out last month (I love March now!), and absolutely I have an excerpt.

What’s next for you?

I’m always juggling two or three works in addition to a very demanding day job. Right now, I’ve returned to the restaurant introduced in Glutton by continuing with Devi’s sisters: I’ve just finished the rough draft of Rana’s story, and the outline on Leena’s. Neither are ménages as they stand right now, but they are hot in their own way. I need to let both of them marinate in their own juices for a bit (zing, how’s that for a food analogy!).

Oooh, I also just finished a romance about a hermit who lives in the woods, and a hot, injured, naked hunk who lands on her doorstep. Submitting soon, keep your fingers crossed .

Any parting words for our readers before we get to the excerpt?

Yes. I am a lonely person. Won’t you e-mail me? Seriously, I love hearing from my readers. You can e-mail me at alishawrites@gmail.com, visit me on the web at www.alisharai.com, or visit my new blog at alisharai.wordpress.com . Don’t be shy!

The Contest! You didn't think we'd have a guest blogger on HOR and not have a contest did you? Alisha is going to handle this through her website so comment here, but then be sure to hit her site!

1) Enter only if you like menages, please :)
2) I'd like it if whoever wins could leave me a review, either on a blog, on a website, or on a group. You don't have to love it, just something after you finish.
3) Everyone who visits my website and e-mails me what Devi is cooking in the first scene of Glutton will be entered.

The winner will be announced on Alisha's blog next Wednesday. I'll also post the winner here.

EXCERPT - Um, there are some strong swear words in this excerpt. AND strong sexual content. So, please, you know. Don’t read it if you can’t vote or will be offended.

“I didn’t hear you knock.”

Devi spun around, her hand pressed against her chest. “Oh. Marcus. You startled me.”

“I was in the garage.”

He stood in the kitchen doorway in only a pair of unsnapped jeans. A sexy smear of grease highlighted his rock-hard abs. Involuntarily, her gaze slid over his bare chest, the arrow of hair that trailed into his open jeans. She was suddenly all too aware of the little toy she wore, forgotten while she’d toured the house.

“Um, Jace told me to just come on in. He’s upstairs, showering. I hope that’s okay.” He didn’t say anything. “I like your house. Or what I’ve seen of it.”

“Take off your clothes.”

She blinked. “Wow, you’re not one for social niceties, are you?”

“Are you hungry?”

“Not really.”

“Do you want a drink?”

Devi slicked her tongue over her lips. “No. I’m good.”

“Good. Take off your clothes.”

“Marcus.” She frowned, though she really wanted to laugh.

“I want to see if you’re wearing the stimulator.”

“I said I would, and I am.”

“You wore it from the minute we dropped you off?”

“Yes.”

“I don’t believe you.”

Devi stared at him, confused. “What?”

He grinned and slid his hand into his pocket. The first gentle vibration had her legs stiffening in shock. The little box came alive, rubbing against her already-stiffened clit like the finger Jace had likened it to. She relaxed and allowed the slow pleasure to sink into her bones. Marcus didn’t allow her time to appreciate it, and he must have turned a dial up somewhere, because the vibrations against her over-stimulated clit increased in their intensity. She moaned and leaned against the couch, her legs boneless and incapable of supporting her weight.

A low male chuckle reached her. “I think we can believe her.”

She opened her eyes to find Jace standing in the room as well. Clad only in a sexy pair of black boxer briefs, water still glistening on his chest and hair, he watched her with a small smile and narrowed eyes already heated with lust.

Just as her climax yawned before her, the soundless stimulation ended. “What are you doing? Turn that back on, this instant.”

Marcus tsked and walked forward until he stood right in front of her. “Didn’t we discuss you giving us orders?”

Heat rose from his body. All of the relentless unappeased desire from the day welled up inside of her. She frowned at him. “I was about to come.”

“We don’t want you to, yet.”

“I don’t care,” she said waspishly. “Turn that damn thing on again or one of you fuck me here.”

Amazing how a couple of days of ceaseless pleasure could lower her inhibitions—she felt no hesitation in making the demand.

“No.” With that simple announcement, Marcus startled Devi by scooping her off her feet.

She shrieked and grabbed on to his shoulders. No one had carried her since she’d been a small child. Pudginess had crept up on her at a young age, so even her father had declined picking her up. “I’m too heavy for you. Put me down.”

He ignored her and spoke to his brother. “Where are the supplies?”

Supplies?

Jace studied her with predatory interest. If she hadn’t already been soaked, that look would have done it. “In my room.”

“Did you hear me? I’m too fat to be carried around like this.”

Marcus walked out of the room and back into the grand entryway. He glanced over his shoulder. “I think the toys were a bad idea. They’ve made her way too contrary.” He jostled her until she tightened her arms around his neck in reaction.

“Stop talking about me like I’m not here. Wreck your back, see if I care. And the toy doesn’t make me contrary. Hours of sexual deprivation make me contrary.”

“Then you should be nicer to the men who are going to end that deprivation,” Marcus explained patiently. “In the meantime, why don’t you pretend your hero is carrying you off to be properly ravished instead of worrying about your damned weight?”

Devi paused. He had a point. Once she thought past her sexual frustration, of course. She relaxed into his arms. “Sorry. I’m not a very good heroine, I guess.”

He handled the dark stairs with ease, not even breathless. He turned right at the top of the stairs and entered a tidy bedroom lit by soft track lighting. Peripherally, she got the impression of heavy wooden furnishings and a huge four-poster bed. Marcus looked down at her, his face cast in shadows. “That’s okay. I’m no hero.”

She slid her palm over his jaw, the slight stubble catching on her skin. “I think you’re doing a pretty good job.”

Devi caught the hardening of Marcus’s jaw under her hand. “Then your judgment sucks.”

Comments (19)

On April 16, 2009 at 10:50 AM , Nikki Duncan said...

Hot excerpt, Alisha!

 
On April 16, 2009 at 11:06 AM , lillie_80 said...

Wow, I think you just steamed up my glasses. Headed over to the site now. I wants!

 
On April 16, 2009 at 11:58 AM , Anonymous said...

YEAH! You have a blog now!!! :D I am so adding it to my reader!! I still haven't gotten my hands on this.... *crosses fingers*

 
On April 16, 2009 at 12:01 PM , Jax Cassidy said...

Great interview answers! Isn't traveling to far-off exotic destinations always fun? I loved that you took the dance lessons and proved that you could do it! Good for you.

Your story sounds HOT! :) Thanks for guesting here.

 
On April 16, 2009 at 12:36 PM , Booklover1335 said...

Alisha,
I am so glad you were able to guest blog about this book. I have been interested in it for a few weeks, but have not had the budget to buy yet.
I was glad to learn more about you and read the excerpt.
Keep writing, and I'll keep reading:)

 
On April 16, 2009 at 1:13 PM , Lynn R. said...

Oh. My. I. MUST. HAVE. THIS. BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Later,

Lynn

 
On April 16, 2009 at 1:38 PM , Alisha Rai said...

Hey guys! Thanks for the interest and the kind words :).

Yes, I have a blog now. I resisted for as long as I could, since blog READING takes up so much of my time already lol. More stuff to come, so please do add it to your reader.

Nikki, I forgot to put this in the contest rules, but I'll accept entries until Sunday, midnight.

Best, Alisha

 
On April 16, 2009 at 1:59 PM , Lisa F. said...

I love the excerpt and I love to read M/F/M menages. I like all types of romance but the menage is my guilty pleasure!

 
On April 16, 2009 at 2:23 PM , Rhonda said...

Sounds like a fun read! Great interview.

 
On April 16, 2009 at 2:32 PM , Alisha Rai said...

@Lisa, me too :).

 
On April 16, 2009 at 2:48 PM , Nikki Duncan said...

You know, I don't read a lot of menages (I know people think I'm nuts) but this is one that sounds very interesting. :)

booklover - email me at nikki@nikkiduncan.com please. :)

 
On April 16, 2009 at 4:05 PM , Alisha Rai said...

Nikki, you don't know what you're missing :).

Every now and again I wonder if a m/f/m menage could work in real life; then I consider double the cooking, double the cleaning, double the smelly socks, double the football games...

Okay, maybe not for me, since I can barely keep up with one man. But it's a hot fantasy, yes?

 
On April 16, 2009 at 5:32 PM , Cathy M said...

I love menage stories and had a great time reading your excerpts. Will definitely be adding your story to my wish list.

 
On April 16, 2009 at 6:51 PM , Nikki Duncan said...

I read them. And enjoy most of them, but I'm picky and I really have very little reading time. Sadly.

 
On April 16, 2009 at 7:10 PM , Alisha Rai said...

Thanks Cathy! Nikki, ain't that the truth? If I had extra hours in a day, I'd totally spend them reading. So many books, so little time :(.

 
On April 17, 2009 at 12:05 AM , Babyblue22 said...

Hey Alisha!!
I know what you mean, my dad is from Pakistan and it is definitely a culture shock.
WOW!!! I so want this book NOW!!!
~aFSHAN

 
On April 18, 2009 at 1:37 PM , Unknown said...

Whew, hot cover, hot excerpt, just plain hot hot hot!

 
On April 18, 2009 at 1:37 PM , Unknown said...

Whew, hot cover, hot excerpt, just plain hot hot hot!

 
On April 19, 2009 at 2:04 AM , Kytaira said...

I loved the exerpts (here and the first chapter). I love menages. One with twins sounds especially hot! I think I'll have to try one of the recipes off of your site as well. I'm not much of a cook but every once in a while I love to try something new.

I emailed you as
lynda98662 at yahoo dot com