This is Hooked on Romance, right? Well, I've been thinking lately and decided to focus my Tuesday posts on romance and where it's found.

This picture is in it's own way romantic. It reminds me of the covers of romance novels from long ago. It also makes me wonder what an attractive and attracted couple would do if they were forced to spend a night in a secluded castle on a stormy night.

At the same time, it gets me thinking about how much romance novels have changed over the years. I grew up reading these books and my mom never cared. Today, most moms would flip at the thought of their young daughters reading romance novels. While the stories have grown sexier and as writers we take more risks with the stories we write, some things have stayed the same.

Romance novels, old and new, all have the same core. Romance. A story about a couple and their growing dedication to each other. So you tell me, what does this picture make you think of? How else have romance stories changed?

Comments (2)

On June 2, 2009 at 7:51 AM , Leah Braemel said...

That picture makes me think she's thinking "Wow, this guy has really bad breath." Or "Not in a million years, buddy."

My mom didn't like me reading romances at all. (so I'd read them on the bus to and from school) It wasn't until I moved out that I got to indulge. If I had a daughter, I'd probably let her, depending upon the heat level and her age, though we'd probably have a talk about the differences in fiction from reality.

 
On June 2, 2009 at 2:05 PM , Nikki Duncan said...

LOL, you crack me up Leah!

My daughter wants to read my books, but I just can't let her. Nope.