**UPDATED: Congratulations Lastnerve (Val) for winning the eBook of CALIENTE. Please email jaxcassidy @ gmail.com to claim your prize.

**To be eligible for an eBook of CALIENTE, featuring Kelley's novella WANTING MIA, just post a comment and you'll be automatically submitted into the drawing! The winner will be picked randomly and results will be posted on Friday**

Your Luciano’s series, GETTING LUCKY WITH LUCIANO and UNEXPECTED MR. RIGHT, is heating up the interracial (I/R) boards. The third book hasn’t been released yet but those Italian cousins are causing quite a buzz and your reviews have been well received. How did you come up with the concept? Why did you decide to write interracial romance versus the traditional African American romance?

Well the idea started around the three best friends, Kaylee, Tabby and Brianna. I love writing girlfriend relationships and how they support each other. After them, I starting thinking about what I liked to do with my girlfriends, what kinds of things these girls might like to do together. That’s where the whole girl’s night out once a week came in. The restaurant was built around that and of course we had to have some sexy guys who worked there! I went with Italian because my hubby is Italian. At the time, we’d just moved to Southern California around his big Italian family and all the delicious foods!

I decided to write IR’s for a couple of reasons. I’m in an IR relationship myself, my parent’s were in an IR relationship so I’ve had a lot of experience with them. My hubby and I have never had any issues with out relationship because of the fact that we are different nationalities. I wanted to show IR relationships that don’t have race issues. They’re just about a man and a woman who fall in love. Their insecurities and the problems they have to overcome are just like any other relationship. I know I’ve been lucky that my husband and I have never had issues due to being in an IR relationship and I guess I just wanted to share the love! LOL.

How tumultuous was your writing journey? Did you have the support system you needed during this time?

I got kind of lucky in some ways. I’d always loved writing but had never had the time to write a book. Like I said, we’d just moved to California and I was a stay at home mom for the first time. I decided to take that time and try and make my dreams come true. From day one I did a lot of research. I looked into critique groups, spoke with authors I read, asked questions and read a lot. It really helped me make a smooth transition. Getting Lucky with Luciano was actually the first book I ever wrote. I pitched at to Kym from Parker Publishing during a local RWA chapter meeting and she requested to read the book. The rest is as they say…history. My husband has been very supportive of me. He doesn’t really get it but he tries. I can’t ask for anything more than that.

What type of audience would you like to draw from your writing? Do you have a desire to write something outside of the erotic genre?

I hope to draw people who love to read, love romance, and love that escapism they can find in a book. I want to help people step out of their own lives for a little while and into my characters lives.

I enjoy writing a lot of different genres. My Kelley Nyrae books are mostly, IR, but not all. I write all sorts of characters, from different backgrounds and different nationalities. My Kelley Nyrae books are HOT by not erotic hot. I write erotic romance under the name Madison Scott. Those are my smokin’ hot books. Recently, I also started writing my first YA book. I’m LOVING it. It’s different for me. It brings me back to those years of first crushes and loves. All those feelings that swirl around in your body and you have no idea what they mean. It’s so pure if that makes any sense. LOL.

Do you find it challenging to acquire a broader readership since your writing focuses on minority h/h (hero/heroine)? Or do you find that you draw in a diverse readership?

In some ways it is hard. Like my characters, I hope I am drawing a diverse readership. My characters are no different than anyone besides the fact that some of them have a different skin color. They have the same feelings, problems, jobs, friends, fears etc. etc. Even though I write a lot of IR’s, I don’t focus on race which I think makes it easier for everyone to relate to.

Your writing speed is amazing. How many books do you write a year? Are you a plotter or a panster?

People always say that but I feel like I write slow! LOL. It really depends. This year I don’t think I’ve written as many as I did last year. Last year I wrote two full novels and three novellas. The second full I didn’t completely finish though. I still wrote for about two weeks in January to finish it up.

I consider myself a mixture of a plotter and pantser. I always have a basic idea of where the story will go. Some major scenes and character sketches. Then I write. As I’m going along I’ll write scenes down, in order that I want to add later.

Do you write with a posse, critique partner, or just have beta readers? What have you found most helpful about the experience?

I used to have a critique group but it just became too much for everyone with their own families and careers. I have a couple close writing friends who I brainstorm with and run ideas by. If I’m stuck, I’ll send them a snippet of what I’m working on and we’ll talk it out together. I have another friend that we critique for one another some times but not consistently. I do have two beta readers though. They’re both rather new to me but I don’t know what I would do without them.

If you were a nail polish what would it be called and why?

I want you to know I took this question very seriously. LOL. I even enlisted the help from some of my friends.

Deceptive Indigo Innocence

I went with this because the common consensus is that when people meet me, I come off really sweet and innocent but then after reading what I write, they think there’s a naughty girl hiding inside me. LOL. I agree with that to a point but I don’t try to be deceptive to anyone!

What is the most adventurous thing you’ve ever done, and what did you learn about yourself?

Oh, God I’m so boring. Adventurous stuff stresses me out. LOL. I can’t even think of anything.

What are you currently working on and what will we see from you in the future?

I’m currently working on my first YA novel which is a blast. It’s also my first paranormal which I’m really enjoying. In May 2010 the third and final book in my Fridays at Luciano’s series, The Laws of Attraction will be released. It’s Bri’s story and she’s a blast. She’s the fun-loving, never going to settle down kind of chick and it’s going to take a good man to make her see what she’s missing.


BLURB of WANTING MIA …

Two months ago a pact with her best friend inspired Mia Hamilton to proposition sexy Antonio Rojas for a weekend fling. She didn’t let it get her down when the object of her desire turned her down. It’s not like she ever had to see him again…or so she thought. Now Antonio is back and determined to have a second chance. He wants Mia and Antonio won’t take no for an answer.

EXCERPT of WANTING MIA from the CALIENTE anthology


**This excerpt contains adult content and is intended for those who are at least 18 years of age.**

“Oh my God.” Mia Hamilton spun around on the barstool so her back faced the door.

“What’s wrong?” Evie asked concern lacing her voice as Mia plopped her elbows on the counter and ruffled her curly brown hair to shield her face. Hopefully he wouldn’t see her. Maybe she could hide behind her mess of curls. “He’s here.”

Evie frowned at her. “I forgot my secret decoder ring at home, girl. You’re going to have to tell me who he is.”

He just happened to be a man she’d propositioned for sex a short two months ago. When she and Evie passed their bar exams they’d come to Big Bear California for a decadent weekend. They’d planned to reward themselves for all their hard work with a fling.

Evie’s weekend, which Mia really was happy about, turned into a serious relationship. Mia on the other hand accosted a man who turned her down because he had a woman at home.

That was all fine and dandy when she never had to see him again. No harm, no foul, they walked out of each other’s lives and she didn’t have to feel like a floozy who tried to get an unknown man to spend the weekend with her. Seeing him again changed everything.

“Antonio.” Mia tried to peek over her shoulder and didn’t seem him. When she glanced back at Evie she looked lost.

“The guy I tried to have my fling with. Tall, gorgeous Latino boy toy. Ring any bells?”

Evie opened her mouth to reply but when she did, a different voice permeated the air around them. One much more masculine with an accent attached.

“So you think I’m gorgeous?”

He took the open stool next to her. When he did the scent of clean, fresh man tickled her senses. His short, black hair rested flat on his head. He had dark, golden skin, a chiseled square jaw, and ice blue eyes sharp enough to slice right through her.

“Maybe I wasn’t talking about you.” Mia looked at him, not flinching while inside trying to calm not only her nerves but the overwhelming attraction her body felt for this man.

“Ah, but maybe you were. My bet is on the latter.”

A light laugh sounded behind her but Mia ignored her friend. She’d pay her back later. Right now she had to deal with Mr. Cocky, walking, talking sex on a stick in a pair of faded jeans and a long sleeved black t-shirt.

“A betting man, huh?” Mia tried to play it cool. “You might want to walk away from this one while you’re ahead. I’d hate to see you go home empty handed.”

“You and me both. I’m here for a reason. I want a chance to have what I gave up two months ago.”

At the same time, desire swept through her leaving her sensitive body on edge, and anger grated on her nerves. Who did this guy think he was? Better yet who did he think she was? Sure she made herself look easy by the way she offered herself on a platter the last time they met but he should give her some credit. He’d not only turned her down but told her he had a woman. Did he think she’d be here waiting for him when he came back? Forget the part where she actually was sitting here because she wasn’t waiting for him. “Hmm, funny, I don’t recall offering you a rain check. I’m sure your girlfriend would love it if she knew you were here trying to score with me.”

“I don’t have a girlfriend. I was here because my relationship was on the rocks. I needed a weekend to evaluate where we stood. I turned you down because I wanted to make a decision without any outside influence. I made that decision. And now I’m back for the woman who hasn’t left my thoughts since that night.”

Holy freakin cow! Mia couldn’t believe he sat here trying to get in her pants like she’d just jump at the offer. Even though her body really wanted her to, things were different now. This wasn’t some planned out weekend fling. The time for that kind of frivolous fun ended when he said no. “You have some nerve. What do thing you can just sit here smile and offer me a roll in the sack and I’m going to say yes? What kind of woman do you think I am?”

“What kind of man did you think I was when you wanted the same thing from me? Not to mention I don’t remember saying I just wanted a weekend with you. I said I wanted a chance at what I lost two months ago. A time limit wasn’t part of my proposition.”

Every nerve ending in her body tingled. Antonio really got to her. Those sea blue eyes and his sinewy body inspired all sorts of sexy dreams over the last two months. And now here he was in the flesh and she couldn’t help but want to jump at his offer. Even if he was arrogant. Hell, she hated to admit it but his arrogance fueled her craving for him even more. Still, she lived here now. She wasn’t the type to bring strange men home and she could only imagine the rumors that would fly around if she got a room in her own damn town. Plus a new phase of her life started since she’d seen him last. She was a lawyer now, she had responsibilities that didn’t include him. “Listen, I don’t have time for games, Antonio. You’re not going to find what you’re looking for with me.”

“Aw, but I have.” She exhaled a heavy breath. Her heart pounded in her chest. “What is it you want?” “I’d thought that would be obvious. I want you, Mia.”

Any parting words for our readers? For our aspiring writers?

First I want to think you ladies for having me here today. I had a blast. For aspiring writers out there keep writing and keep reading. Never give up and you’ll be surprised where your determination will take you.

I want to tell the readers thanks for listening to me blab today. LOL. Hope you enjoyed it and hope you’ll give Mia and Antonio a shot.

ABOUT KELLEY...

Kelley has been writing for as long as she can remember. Life got in the way and she wasn’t able to work on accomplishing her goal of becoming a published writer until 2005. When she became a stay at home mom for the first time she decided to start working on her dream again. Since she’s always been a romantic at heart she took her two passions, romance and writing and started her very first romance novel. Her life hasn’t been the same since. Life couldn’t be more wonderful. She has a job she loves, two beautiful little girls who always bring a smile to her face and her husband and soul mate Dominic who supports her beyond belief.

For more about Kelley, visit her online:

Website: http://www.kelleynyrae.com
Blog(s): http://www.kelleynyrae.blogspot.com
http://www.threewickedwriters.blogspot.com
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/writermadisonscott

Comments (23)

On June 11, 2009 at 9:32 AM , Anne Rainey said...

Great Blog, Kelley! And loved the excerpt! :)

 
On June 11, 2009 at 9:40 AM , Kelley Nyrae said...

Hi, Anne. Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

 
On June 11, 2009 at 9:42 AM , Jambrea said...

What a great interview. Thanks for sharing. Loved the excerpt!! :D

 
On June 11, 2009 at 9:43 AM , The Scarf Princess said...

Loved the excerpt! Really left me wanting more!

 
On June 11, 2009 at 9:44 AM , Kelley Nyrae said...

Thank you, Jambrea!!


I'm glad you enjoyed it, Joder!

 
On June 11, 2009 at 9:44 AM , Cameron said...

Loved the excerpt Kelley! Thanks for sharing. I'll definitely be on the hunt for your books. :D

 
On June 11, 2009 at 9:46 AM , Barb said...

The interview was wonderful Kelley! And I'm loving the excerpt of Wanting Mia. Sounds like another winner! Gonna have to get this one.

 
On June 11, 2009 at 9:55 AM , bbwraven said...

Awesome interview!

 
On June 11, 2009 at 10:22 AM , Kelley Nyrae said...

Thank you, Lori! I hope you enjoy them.

Barb, you rock!


Tammy, Thanks, chickadee.

 
On June 11, 2009 at 11:10 AM , Nikki Duncan said...

Hey Kelley! Welcome to HOR, thanks for being here.

 
On June 11, 2009 at 11:28 AM , Unknown said...

Loved the interview and I think I could TOTALLY get into your books! Wanting Mia looks really fun and interesting!

Val
lastnerve2000@gmail.com

 
On June 11, 2009 at 11:36 AM , Kelley Nyrae said...

Thanks for having me, Nikki!!


Val, wow, thanks!

 
On June 11, 2009 at 5:44 PM , Jax Cassidy said...

Kelley's Luciano's series is awesome! I'm excited to read WANTING MIA. She's a Parker Pub sister of mine and I'm thrilled that her books are being well received. Kudos my dear! :)

 
On June 11, 2009 at 6:29 PM , Unknown said...

Great interview and excerpt! Yummy covers!

 
On June 11, 2009 at 6:44 PM , From__LA said...

Excellent job, Kell! Love the nailpolish choice...*wink**wink*.

Big {{hugs}}

 
On June 11, 2009 at 7:51 PM , Kelley Nyrae said...

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the support!!

 
On June 11, 2009 at 7:53 PM , Anonymous said...

"They’re just about a man and a woman who fall in love."

Thank you.

Hubby and I are IR. When I look at him, I don't see the black man. I see the man who stole my heart.

Well.....and the fact that I love the contrast of his skin on my...but anyways! lol

This sounds like an awesome read, and I am going to have to look for it!

 
On June 11, 2009 at 10:24 PM , Caffey said...

Hi Kelley! Whew this was fab to read all you do and write! I for one looking forward to reading yours!

 
On June 11, 2009 at 11:49 PM , Kytaira said...

Sounds like a great book! I went on over and checked out your website and signed up for your newsletter. Thanks for the interview!

 
On June 12, 2009 at 6:17 AM , lindseye said...

I always enjoy finding out more about a story and where an author got an idea.

 
On June 12, 2009 at 9:32 AM , Kelley Nyrae said...

Natasha,
I'm the same way. I don't even think about the difference when I look at my husband. He's just a man. My, man.

 
On June 12, 2009 at 9:33 AM , Kelley Nyrae said...

Hey, Caffey! Thanks for stopping by!


Kytaria,
Thank you so much for visiting my website and signing up for my newsletter! I appreciate it.

Thanks, Lindsey

 
On June 12, 2009 at 9:37 AM , Kelley Nyrae said...

Contest winner!!!

My five year old drew a name from a hat and the winner of a ebook copy of Caliente is......


Lastnerve (Val) Congrats and thanks SO much to everyone for hanging out with me here today. Val, please email me at kelley dot nyrae at yahoo dot com with contest winner in the subject line. Thanks again everyone!! I had a blast.