I won't be going to Nationals this year. I'm a little sad, because I was really looking forward to hanging out with friends and taking advantage of all that RWA has to offer. Every cloud does have a silver lining though, instead of going to DC, I'll be going HOME!

Yes, I will be on a plane heading to beautiful Jamaica.

I've missed a ton in the last few years since I've been home.

My family is so important to me and I can't wait for my son to bask in the glow of what it means to always be surrounded by people who love and never judge you. It is a happy occasion for us all because my aunt will be renewing her vows and my dad will be walking her down the aisle.

The view from my parent's veranda is spectacular. It was there that I first started daydreaming and stringing stories together in my head. We live in the Blue Mountains where my parents grow coffee and on a clear day you can see all the way across the island and out to the sea.



There are so many things that I've missed eating. Don't get me wrong, I'm a pretty good cook, but some things taste way better when mommy makes it.
Here are two of the recipes that I'll be digging into on my first night home.

Curry Chicken

INGREDIENTS

1- 3lbs chicken
2 tablespoon curry powder
onion, thyme, garlic, pepper, black pepper.
salt to taste
lemon or lime juice

METHOD

Clean, skin,and cut chicken in small pieces,then wash with lime or lemon juice
Drain, season with curry, onion, thyme, garlic, peppers, salt and let marinate for awhile
In a skillet pour about 3 tablespoon of oil. Let oil heat but not too hot
Add chicken and let cook until done.
Serve over white rice

Sweet Potato Pudding (This is great warm!)

INGREDIENTS

2 pounds sweet potato
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup flour
2 cups coconut milk
1 1/2 cups dried fruits
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon mixed spice
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon margarine

METHOD:

Wash and pare off the skin of the potatoes
Wash again then grate
Grate coconut, add water and squeeze juice through a strainer
Blend flour, mixed spice (raisins etc) ,salt, and nutmeg.
Combine this mixture with the grated potatoes and mix well
Add sugar, fruits and coconut milk. Mix well.
Grease pan, pour in batter, bake at 350 degrees F for 40-60 minutes or until done


Until next time.....

Comments (3)

On June 17, 2009 at 5:04 PM , Jax Cassidy said...

What a great recipe! I must try it out. I've been craving curry... Sorry I'll miss you at conference but we'll have to see each other soon. :)

 
On June 17, 2009 at 11:34 PM , Abigail said...

I am sooooo going to miss you too! I am bummed that I'm not going. Let me know what you think about the recipe once you try it. :)

 
On June 18, 2009 at 12:08 PM , Evangeline Holland said...

Yum! I may have to try this recipe now that I'm running out of menu ideas.