Today, we have the honor of chatting with Sylvia Day. Some of you know her as a writer of sensual and beautiful historicals. What you may not realize is that Sylvia has taken on two new pen names and is branching out in her writing styles. As Livia Dare, she will be writing a Fantasy series that promises to be sexy. As SJ Day, she will be writing Urban Fantasy. Her Marked series, if my opinion counts for anything, is going to be amazing.


I had the pleasure of reading EVE OF DARKNESS even before the ARCs were released and it was the first book in longer than I can remember that sucked me in so deeply that I forgot I was supposed to be reading it to give feedback. I was supposed to analyze it and I wasn’t able to do that. Then it occurred to me that forgetting I was a writer charged with giving critical/constructive feedback was a kind of analysis. It was a ROCKIN’ AWESOME READ!


We’ve talked Sylvia into giving away an autographed ARC here on the blog. How do you win it? Get to chatting in the comments. We’ll do a drawing tomorrow and post the winner of the ARC.

And now, the real reason you came...Sylvia’s interview.


Sylvia, your gift with words and imagery always amazes me.

Thank you. :)

I’m especially excited to see how your Marked series is received.

I'm nervous. *g*

I would say you shouldn’t be, but I know how authors are, especially when kicking off a new venture.


After reading EVE OF DARKNESS last year, I’m certain they’ll be a success.

From your lips to God's ears...


Can you give us a little insight into your thoughts about the Marked books?

The idea for the Marked series came to me while I was in the shower. I hopped out, sat down in my towel, and started writing. I loved the freedom of not having any genre restrictions. I could write whatever I wanted and that was awesome. All three of the Marked books are the longest books I've ever written. I could have gone on forever, if I'd been able to. They were demanding, but I love them. Hopefully that shines through when they're read.


Being that we’re easily entertained authors, what’s your favorite amusement or guilty pleasure?


Big, dumb, blow 'em up action movies. I love, love, love them. Cohesive plot is optional.

LOL, I’m the same way. Maybe that’s why I enjoy watching THE MARINE so much.


Does it have any impact on your writing? I write my stories kind of like screenplays. I see the whole picture in my head and try to get it all down--the setting, tone, fabrics, smells, temperature, etc. I want to recreate that same cinematic experience I see in my head on the page.


If you could be on a reality TV show, what would it be?

Dancing with the Stars

Why?

I could stand to lose a few pounds. (or several...) Plus the men are hot, and I'd get up close and personal with one for as long as I was on the show. What's not to love about that?

I think an author Dancing with the Stars would be awesome! I would certainly watch.


And the toughest question for last...Can you tell us what you have in store for your readers in the coming months and years?

My upcoming release schedule can be found here: http://www.sylviaday.com/coming-soon/ I have six books out this year -- 3 urban fantasy, 1 fantasy romance, 2 historical romances.


I'm really excited about the fantasy romance, IN THE FLESH, which was written back in 2004. For a long time, it was my favorite book and Wulf was my favorite hero. I'm happy that it's finally releasing and hope that readers enjoy it.


Will you share an excerpt with us?

The entire first chapter of EVE OF DARKNESS: http://us.macmillan.com/BookCustomPage.aspx?isbn=9780765360410#Excerpt


And an excerpt of IN THE FLESH: http://www.sylviaday.com/livia-dare/flesh/flesh-excerpt/


Thanks for spending some time with us, Sylvia! I look forward to your new releases and wish you many, many sales.


Naughty Nikki

Comments (16)

On February 26, 2009 at 11:17 AM , Jax Cassidy said...

I love Sylvia! So glad to see that she was able to crawl out of her writing cave to be interviewed. She's one of the most prolific people I know and I can't wait to read the next book! :)

 
On February 26, 2009 at 11:17 AM , Brandy W said...

Can't wait for this series to release. I think I was hooked around the second or third time I checked it out on the website.

Thanks for having Sylvia here Nikki and thanks Sylvia for keeping this in the front of my mind.

 
On February 26, 2009 at 11:43 AM , Anonymous said...

Oh this does look good! I love the way Sylvia spins a story.

 
On February 26, 2009 at 11:57 AM , Anonymous said...

I'm so stoked on this series - I'm waiting for all 3 to be out so I can read them all at once! What a wicked sweet idea - Sylvia, you rock! Keep 'em coming girl! (pardon the pun...)

 
On February 26, 2009 at 11:59 AM , Sylvia Day said...

Thank you! I hope you all like Eve's story when it releases. :)

And what a gorgeous blog!! I'm especially in love with the koi. ((hugs))

 
On February 26, 2009 at 12:24 PM , Cathy M said...

Both the Marked Series and the Sapphire Series look like my favorite kind of stories and I look forward to reading them. Will have to check out your favorite movie, The Marine, too. Love blow-em-up action movies, but haven't seen this one yet.

 
On February 26, 2009 at 12:27 PM , Jill James said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
On February 26, 2009 at 12:29 PM , Anonymous said...

Great interview and sounds like great books. I see another TBR pile looming in my future.

 
On February 26, 2009 at 12:38 PM , Jax Cassidy said...

Sylvia, don't you think the heroine kind of looks like me? LOL

 
On February 26, 2009 at 12:49 PM , MellyM said...

Yay!!! I've been drooling over this series since we got the first email on the WW loop!!!

 
On February 26, 2009 at 1:21 PM , Karin said...

I am really looking forward to the Marked series this year. The whole premise sounds great and I love the first chapter of EVE OF DARKNESS.

Dancing With the Stars would be a fun show with you on it, Sylvia. I'd love to see them bring an author, or a few authors, onto the show.

 
On February 26, 2009 at 5:01 PM , Anonymous said...

Eve of Darkness - I do not want to wait, I want the book now :)

Seriously awesome interview and I have been intrigued with the marked series ever since I joined the Wicked Writers group.

 
On February 26, 2009 at 6:00 PM , tigger9 said...

Congrats on all the releases coming up. Your books sound awesome.
lexeetoste@sbcglobal.net

 
On February 26, 2009 at 8:30 PM , Sylvia Day said...

Cathy -- I haven't seen The Marine, but must find it for rental now that Nikki has recommended it!

Jax -- you are, by far, more beautiful!

Karin -- I'd love to see some authors on DWTS. :)

Everyone -- I so excited that you all are looking forward to the Marked series!! I can't tell you. :)

 
On February 26, 2009 at 8:45 PM , Becky said...

I loved the first chapter of "Eve of Darkness". Sounds like it will be a really good book and I can't wait to read it. I also enjoyed the excerpt from "In the Flesh". I enjoyed the interview and can't wait for the mark series to be released.

 
On February 26, 2009 at 9:29 PM , Unknown said...

Eve of Darkness sounds good!