I'm terribly exhausted. The trip to DC was fast and easy. The trip back, not so. We sat on the tarmac for 2 hours before we took off on a 3 hour flight back and with a crying baby in the row behind me, I had a tough time concentrating...but that's not what I want to talk about.

What I want to tell you is what an awesome time I had at Nationals! I'll recap the details next Monday when I am fully rested. I'm delighted to say that DC had a better vibe than San Francisco last year. As far as checking into the room and the on site restaurants--a total disappointment! I believe the hotel wasn't ready, or fully staffed, to handle a few thousand romance authors taking over for a week. I'm kinda seeing a trend with the past four conference hotels I've attended...however, the company I held made a big difference in my experience and I can only give a shot out to my online friends from Romance Divas.

From my trip to the Veteran WWII memorial to riding in a limo with my agency sisters to industry parties...there's plenty of dirt to give up...but as I mentioned, I'll be breaking all that down next Monday. For now, I will leave a bit of info regarding the erotic market for those who write in this genre. It's acquired from a compilation made by Laura Bradford, Bradford Literary Agency, during the Passionate Ink party...Feel free to pass this link :)

Avon Red -- Should be Kensington Brava heat level

Bantam Dell -- No erotica

Berkley Heat -- Cindy Hwang would like to see more threesomes and more-somes, M/M, menages

NAL -- Paranormals with dark tones (Angela Knight flavor). Heat level should be Eclipse sensual like Lacy Alexander

Dorchester -- No erotic, but like hot romance like SJ Day, Jade Lee and wants to see fantasy

Grand Central -- Not sure about erotic

HQN -- Sexy title like Victoria Dahl. Sassy, sexual fearless. No anal, threesomes, or the female "c" word

Spice -- 12 books a year. Looking for paranormals with 100K

Kensington Aphrodisia -- 2 books a month. Single title anthology. Should be beyond Shifters and vamps. Concepts and series. The hotter the better and what can't be found in traditional romance

Kensington Brava -- Sensual. 3 titles a month: contemporary, historical and paranormal with one mass market reprint. Looking for single title author anthology. like Sylvia Day, Diane Whiteside, and Allison Kent

Pocket -- Not actively acquiring erotica. Trade market has cooled down. Really sexy, envelope pushing. Hetero characters. No threesomes, etc. More in line with Gena Showalter, Shayla Black, and Kresley Cole. Also looking for sweet contemporaries and Women's Fiction

St. Martin's Press -- Great fresh voices in all genres. No Sherilyn Kenyon (already have one). No erotic line because they have Lora Leigh, Opal Carew. M/M and single author anthology OK. Anything not illegal is okay.

Black Lace -- Officially closed.


Comments (7)

On July 20, 2009 at 11:37 PM , Anonymous said...

Jax,

Thanks for the update on Pocket. Good to know there's another place for Sweet Contemps!

Great to see you at Nationals as we passed each other in the hall.

Gina

 
On July 21, 2009 at 3:07 AM , Saskia Walker said...

Thanks for the updates, Jax! So glad you managed to have some fun in there as well, as if you wouldn't... ;-)

 
On July 21, 2009 at 5:29 AM , Shelley Munro said...

Thanks for the info, Jax. It's very helpful.

 
On July 21, 2009 at 3:00 PM , Jax Cassidy said...

You're welcome! I hope it helped you all out. It helped me :)

 
On July 21, 2009 at 5:31 PM , Karen Erickson said...

I can't believe you got stuck on the tarmac for 2 hours! I hate to say it but my flight was easy. Though when I landed in Dallas that place was full of angry people...

Great bunch of information Laura gave us. I miss you!

 
On July 21, 2009 at 7:43 PM , Jax Cassidy said...

Miss you too Karen!

Gina -- I was bummed we didn't spend more time together. Definitely next year!

Saskia -- I totally missed you!

Shelley -- Thanks for stopping by.

 
On July 23, 2009 at 9:49 AM , Abigail said...

Great updates Jax!