UPDATE: **And the winner is ELI! Congrats on winning an autographed copy of Gemma Halliday's book. You should be contacted with the good news.**

One of my good friends, GEMMA HALLIDAY, is in the house and she's giving us some hot gossip on her HOT new series set in the heart of Hollywood...this is going to be one of those keeper series for me since I lived in L.A. for almost a decade (still miss it)...so I've been waiting for this book to come out! If you know Gemma's HIGH HEELS SERIES, you probably already know it's going to be a fun, laugh-out-loud, and entertaining read. This is the type of mystery that doesn't make your stomach queasy but brings a smile to your face. You really should pick it up...need more convincing? She's got a link to the infamous L.A. Informer Online site where you can find out where the gossip all began....

And here's Gemma:

You're known for your HIGH HEELS series, where high crime meets high fashion in fabulous Beverly Hills...and now you've got a juicy new series set around Hollywood headlines. I bet you had a lot of fun writing about this topic since it's everyone's secret (or not-so secret) obsession. What prompted you to come up with the idea for the series?

I’d love to take full credit for the idea, but my editor actually had a lot to do with it. I’d gotten tons of positive reader response to my tabloid reporter character Felix Dunn in the Heels series, so we thought it would be fun to do a sort of spin-off, borrowing him and a few other Heels characters in the process. Plus the whole tabloid setting gives me a legitimate excuse to indulge my TMZ addiction.

Has it been a challenge writing it with a new baby in the house?

Yes. Times ten. Baby’s adorable, but he hasn’t yet learned the fine art of power-napping.

Most people may not know that you have a background in screenwriting and acting. Did you have difficulty transitioning to screenplays?

My books tend to be very dialogue heavy, so switching between book and screenplay format isn’t that difficult of a stretch for me. The hardest part has been now boiling my paragraphs of description down to a couple sentences for the screenplays.

Have you ever considered going back to acting, even part-time?

It would be fun to do a cameo or something like that should one of my books hit the big screen, but other than that, I’m a lot happier writing than trying to stay “camera ready”.

What have you learned most about the publishing industry since you began?

Oh boy, hard to pick just one thing. I’d say that the most important lesson I’ve learned is that you’ve never really “made it” in this business. It’s a continuous battle to stay on top of trends and continue delivering what readers want. Which can be a fun challenge, but it’s always challenging.

How much has the economy impacted your career?

Interesting question. No doubt about it, publishing houses have been taking some hits in the current economy. But, I’ll be honest, I’m not really sure why. Everywhere I turn I keep hearing how romance is one industry that’s doing well in the bad economy. Go figure.

How tumultuous was your writing journey and where do you hope to see your career going?

It’s been a fun ride. :) There have definitely been some unexpected twists and turns, but I’m pretty happy with where I am and where things seem to be going for me. As to where I see myself going… the NY Times bestseller list, of course. ;)

Any secret desire to write different genres?

Not sure if it’s really a secret, but I’d love to write YA.

Writers either work alone or with a group of other writers. Do you have a posse you write with and do they write in the same genre you do? Do you meet them for writer dates?

I do have a group of other writers whose opinions I trust more than my own. Whenever I have something new, I’ll usually send it out to at least one of them (whoever isn’t in a deadline cave at the time) to read. We’re pretty spread out, so we don’t meet regularly, but they’re always an email away. And, no, we write in all different genres, which I think makes it even more fun reading each others' stuff.

Tell us about your latest release SCANDAL SHEET?

SCANDAL SHEET is the first book in my new Hollywood Headlines series, that focuses on the explotiots of L.A. most infamous tabloid, the L.A. Informer. Tina Bender is the Informer’s gossip columnist extraordinaire. She knows everything about everyone who's anyone. And she's not afraid to print it. That is, until she receives a threatening note, promising, "If you don't stop writing about me, you're dead." Teaming with a built bodyguard, a bubbly blonde, and an alcoholic obituary writer, Tina sets out to uncover just which juicy piece of Hollywood gossip is worth killing over.

Would you like to share an excerpt for our readers?

Absolutely. :) They can read an excerpt of the first scene of listen
to an audio excerpt of the first three chapters on my website at:
http://www.gemmahalliday.com/books/scandal_sheet/

What is the most extreme sport you’ve ever done, or adventure you’ve ever taken, and what did you learn about yourself?

Okay, I’ll admit, I’m not much of a sports gal. I did earn a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, though, so I guess sparring big 6 foot guys would be the most extreme thing I’ve done. What did I learn? I can beat up 6 foot tall guys. ;)

If you were a nail polish, what would it be called and why?

Great questions! Lol! Um… Rockin’ Red, because I love painting my toenails the brightest color I can find.

Any advice for our writers or parting words for our readers?

Advice for writers: Keep writing! And try to read as many other authors in your genre as possible.

Parting words for readers: buy SCANDAL SHEET! ;)

ABOUT GEMMA:

In her previous life, Gemma worked in such diverse jobs as a film and television actress, a teddy bear importer, a department store administrator, a preschool teacher, a temporary tattoo artist, and a 900 number psychic. All of which have given her excellent fodder for future characters.

Gemma started writing fiction in 2002 and after winning several awards as an unpublished writer, her career kicked into high gear in 2005 when she won RWA’s prestigious Golden Heart Award. One month later she was offered her first book contract, saving her from adding another dead end to her eclectic employment history.

Her first book, SPYING IN HIGH HEELS, was published in 2006, and since then Gemma has been the recipient of numerous awards, including the National Reader's Choice award and two RITA nominations.

Gemma now makes her home in the San Francisco Bay area, where she is hard at work on her next book.


Want to find out more about Gemma, visit her online: www.gemmahalliday.com


Comments (17)

On October 29, 2009 at 7:29 AM , robynl said...

love the Scandal Sheet cover;
I am sorry I missed your High Heels series; I bet there is a ton of laughs in there.

yourstrulee(at)sasktel(dot)net

 
On October 29, 2009 at 8:32 AM , Virginia C said...

Hi, Gemma! Great cover on SCANDAL SHEET! Fabulous filmland fun!

gcwhiskas at aol dot com

 
On October 29, 2009 at 9:39 AM , Gemma Halliday said...

Thanks, ladies! The cover is eye catching, isn't it? I love the red. :)

~Gemma

 
On October 29, 2009 at 10:13 AM , Jax Cassidy said...

I love the red! The books is juicy....

 
On October 29, 2009 at 10:19 AM , Nikki Duncan said...

Hey Gemma! Welcome to HoR. This book looks amazing.

 
On October 29, 2009 at 11:11 AM , Michelle (MG) Braden said...

Yay - Go Felix! And go Gemma - can't wait to read this.

 
On October 29, 2009 at 12:21 PM , Katrina W said...

Hi Gemma, great interview! I can't wait to read this - it sounds fantastic.

 
On October 29, 2009 at 12:43 PM , The Scarf Princess said...

I love the covers for the High Heels series. They're fun and definitely stand out.

And I love steamy reads-the steamier, the better.

joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

 
On October 29, 2009 at 1:11 PM , Sasha Devlin said...

Congrats on your new release, Gemma! (and the hot cover)

P.S. I think it's great that you look so sweet but can beat up 6' tall men.

sashadevlin(at)gmail(dot)com

 
On October 29, 2009 at 1:13 PM , JulieDestry said...

And yet another addition to my reading list! it looks fabulous!

juliedestry at gmail dot com

 
On October 29, 2009 at 1:57 PM , Debbie Mumford said...

Great interview, Jax. Wonderful insights, Gemma! Nice to see both of you in one spot *lol*

debbie_mumford(at)hotmail(dot)com

 
On October 29, 2009 at 2:56 PM , Anonymous said...

congrats on teh book
love the cover
very hot
kh
kimehak@yahoo.com

 
On October 29, 2009 at 3:07 PM , Anonymous said...

Hi, Gemma :)
I've heard great things about your books and I really must try the one I have in my tbr pile :)
This was a fun interview to read and I've got to say, I love the cover of the Scandal Sheet... red is one of my favorite colors, and I usually use the nail polish Fiery Red on my toes when I can :)

aliciaeflores1 @ yahoo.com

 
On October 29, 2009 at 5:46 PM , Gemma Halliday said...

Thanks! I hope you all love the book! I will say that I'm honestly more nervous about this release than any previous ones because it's a new series, new characters, new look for the cover... it's all new! New is scary. :)

~Gemma

 
On October 29, 2009 at 6:43 PM , Jane said...

Hi Gemma,
Congrats on the baby and the new release.

janie1215 AT excite DOT com

 
On October 29, 2009 at 9:36 PM , Eli said...

I love the cover...

That was a great interview! :)

I've never read any of your books... would love to though. They look like good books. :)

Midnight_eli at yahoo dot com

 
On October 29, 2009 at 9:53 PM , Sue A. said...

Awesome interview! Congrats on the adorable baby!